It's definitely a vintage nylon-ish fabric, soft and comfy. Very easy to work with. And I'm absolutely in love with the big and small polka dots.
I was terrified to get started because I didn't want to screw it up! So I thought I'd get a pattern just for some security. After spending over an hour staring at patterns trying to pick one I just decided to wing it!
I wanted it to have lots of movement and flowiness with a simple silhouette. So I decided on cutting it like a tent dress, where it just angles out. The width around the original hem was the perfect amount of flowiness, angled into a fitted underarm width. I used a v-neck dress to trace the top, and made some 1" lining pieces to get a nice finish around the neck and arm holes. I also wanted to play with the sharkbite hem, since the triangular shape of the dress already creates more of a point on the sides.
This was all a big experiment and luckily it worked out in my favor!! No major disasters. The best part is I still have the top half of the original to play with!